Thursday, December 29, 2011

Should I laugh or cry in the garden of Tuileries?

Doña Maria Eugenia Ignacia Augustina de Palafox de Guzmán Portocarrero y Kirkpatrick was born on 5 May 1826, in Granada, Spain.
Hunting bodice worn by Empress Eugénie de Montijo, 1853-70, Musée de la Vénerie-via old rags







Eugenia variously used the titles of Countess of Teba or Countess of Montijo. While in London she was introduced to Charles Louis Napoléon Bonaparte (20 April 1808 - 9 January 1873). He was the son of Hortense Eugénie Cécile Bonaparte Beauharnais, Queen Consort of Holland (10 April 1783 - 5 October 1837) and Louis Napoléon Bonaparte, King of Holland (2 September 1778 - 25 July 1846). When the new President of the Second Republic held balls at the Elysée Palace, Eugenia appeared with her mother and met the Prince President, Louis Napoléon.





According to The Life of an Empress (Eugénie de Montijo) by Frédéric Louee Madame de Montijo wrote to Marquis de Rochelambert, "I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Many mothers who to-day envy me could not explain the cause of my tears. Eugénie is about to become Queen of France, but I cannot help thinking that queens know but little joy. Do what I may, I am obsessed by the recollection of Marie Antoinette, and I ask myself in dread if my poor child will not some day meet with a similar fate."


Napoleon III's Wedding to Eugenie



In a speech from the throne on 22 January 1853, Napoléon III formally announced his engagement, saying, "I have preferred a woman whom I love and respect to a woman unknown to me, with whom an alliance would have had advantages mixed with sacrifices." Eugénie and Napoléon III were married on Saturday, 30 January 1853, at the Tuileries. On the next day, Sunday, in a religious ceremony, at Notre Dame. She became, Her Imperial Majesty The Empress of the French. Known in France as Eugénie de Montijo.


Eugénie de Montijo
Photographed by Emmanuel Flamant of Paris
( via ( OVO)




Eugénie de Montijo, the last Empress of the French died aged 94...

( text source Ann Lauren